Yeah, those dry flakes that fall on your shoulders or appear on your hair strands and scalp- dandruff. Sometimes these are accompanied with itchiness and reddening of the scalp- and none of us like it. Today’s blog is pretty much about home remedies for dandruff
Before we dive into the home remedies for dandruff, lets understand what causes
- A yeast like fungus formation named Malassezia that feeds on oils from the scalp and dead skin cells which occurs due to formation of new skin.
- Irritated, oily Scalp
- Sensitivity to hair products
- Other skin conditions like eczema and psoriasis.
To begin with, my first advice to all those who suffer from this annoying scalp condition is ‘avoid excessive oiling of the head and not keep the oil on your head for long hours’. Oiling can only make the condition worse. Dandruff is different from the dry flakes. It is mainly caused due to excessive oil on the scalp whereas the dry flakes mostly occur when the scalp is dry.
Although there is no way to banish the dandruff completely, but these home remedies will keep them under check. Home remedies might take time to show but they are absolutely safe for a long term use where there is no damage to the hair shafts.
So here are 5 natural homemade remedies for Dandruff that are effective and very easy to use.
- Vinegar– The most effective remedy is to mix vinegar and water in equal amounts and apply it on the scalp. Keep it on for 30 mins at least before washing the hair. You can also add few drops of Vinegar to your shampoo before your hair wash.
- Garlic– I know you hate the smell but trust me, it is worth a try! Its anti-fungal properties enable it to tackle this condition effectively. You can crush 3-4 pods of garlic and mix it with honey and apply to the scalp. Leave it on for 30 in and use a mild shampoo to wash it off. In this case, honey also acts as a moisturizer for the hair.
- Neem– Probably an obvious choice in many households. You can take few leaves and boil it in water. You can use this water to rinse your hair. You can also use a neem paste but as it is too strong, you could mix it with yogurt and apply this mask to the scalp and wash.
- Tea Tree and Lemon– Again a powerful combination. Squeeze half a lime (or use a full lemon) and add few drops of Tea tree oil and apply it to the scalp. This I would suggest that you keep not more than 20 mins and then wash.
- Multani Mitti– You can make a paste of multani mitti and water and to this paste, add few drops of lemon and apply on the scalp. This mixture has clarifying effects and gets rid of excess oil.
And if you are feeling lazy to try the home remedies, you can try using these natural products to get rid of Dandruff–
– Ancient Living Anti Dandruff pack enriched with Organic Neem and Amla
–Indus Valley Anti Dandruff Shampoo– Anti Dandruff Shampoo with Aloe and Cleansing Lemon
Hope you like this one people. And one more important piece of advice- please do not stress, as stress can make this condition worse. Hope you liked and follow these simple home remedies for Dandruff. Love yourself, keep smiling.